Salt Lake-based Okland Construction Co., under contract with the General Services Administration, recently demolished over 75,000 sq ft of commercial and residential buildings in downtown Salt Lake City. Okland and subcontractor TID Demolition of North Salt Lake cleared the site along 400 South and West Temple as part of the first bid package for a new $200-million U.S. District Courthouse. The Shubrick building, a three-story hotel built in 1912 that most recently housed the bar Port O’ Call, apartments and some offices, were among the structures torn down.
The demolition work is included in the future federal courthouse project’s LEED accreditation. 75% of the materials torn down were taken to recycling centers for reuse. Over seven tons of salvaged features, including stamped leather wall coverings and stone cornices, will also be used in new projects throughout the city. The project took approximately 10 weeks to complete.